Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wednesday: My Top 5 favorite NCAA tournament moments

Happy hump day!
One day more! The countdown is almost over to March Madness.
Last night’s play-in games caused some excitement, but the real play starts tomorrow. And, of course, this week’s Top 5 will stick with college basketball.
The topic: My Top 5 memorable March Madness moments.

1.     Kansas State vs. Xavier, March 25, 2010: This game was epic. Every time one team seemed to take control, the other stormed back. Jacob Pullen drove to the hoop. Terrell Holloway knocked down clutch 3-pointer after clutch 3-pointer. Then there was Jordan Crawford’s 35 footer to send the game into double overtime. On top of all that, Gus Johnson had the play-by-play, making the game that much more exciting. I watched every minute of it, and still get chills every time I watch the highlights. The best March Madness game I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot of good ones.
2.     Kansas vs. Memphis, April 7, 2008: This is the best national championship game I’ve ever witnessed. You want talent, this game had plenty of it. Derrick Rose was the nation’s best player that year and a future No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft. Darrell Arthur led the Jayhawks that night with 20 points and 10 boards. Brandon Rush still enjoys an NBA career as does Memphis’ Chris Douglas-Roberts. But this game was all about the shot. Memphis kept missing free throws, and Mario Chalmers made them pay with a 3-pointer to bring the game into overtime. Kansas dominated the extra period, and the rest is history.


3.     Stephen Curry, 2008: A lot of people forget that the year Kansas won the national championship, it had to beat Steph Curry and Davidson in the Elite Eight. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed an individual performance quite like this one. Step back 3s. Ankle-breaking crossovers. No look passes. Unbelievable layups. I want this kind of performance in the NCAA tournament again, but I don’t think it will ever match the greatness of Curry in 2008.


4.    George Mason’s run, 2006: The original Cinderella, at least for me. Never in my lifetime had I seen such an unthinkable run to the Final Four. I’d heard about them in the past, but I’d never witnessed it. George Mason’s run was incredible. Upset after upset. Michigan State. North Carolina. Wichita State. Then finally, UConn, the No. 1 overall seed that year. It was a run for the ages, and it sparked runs by other mid-majors now. I don’t think VCU or Butler goe to the Final Four if the Patriots don’t win. That’s the great thing about March, anything can happen.
   

5.     Duke vs. Butler, April 6, 2010: This was another game for the ages. Butler made an improbably run to the title game, beating Michigan State in the Final Four. Duke was the prohibitive favorite as the only No. 1 seed standing after regional play. The Bulldogs gave the Blue Devils all they had, and were two shots away from winning the game. Gordon Hayward missed them both off the back iron, including a last-second half court heave in desperation. If the shot had gone in, this would probably be No. 1. But instead Duke took home the crown, but the game still left a lasting impression.

Top Videos:
-Here are ESPN’s top 75 NCAA Tournament moments.
-Phil Jackson was introduced as the president of basketball operations in New York yesterday. 
-President Obama picks Michigan State to win it all in his bracket. 
-Also, check out my story on the Nebraska men's basketball team's experience in Indianapolis. 

Thanks for reading and enjoy Thursday’s round of games.

Reach me at: award6344@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: @_andrewward

No comments:

Post a Comment